Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:01:32 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 17:44:57 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > pcase-lambda, pcase-let, pcase-let*, and pcase-dolist still have no
> > meaningful documentation,

> Not sure what kind of documentation would be more meaningful, sorry.

Doc strings which specify fully the arguments to these macros, including
their semantics, and say what the macros do.  The current doc strings
(at least some of them) for these macros don't do this.

Entries in the elisp manual.  These don't exist at all.  (Or, if they
do, they don't have index entries.)

> Do you happen to have concrete questions about them which aren't answered
> by their docstrings?

I've had such questions in the past, and had to answer them by time
consuming guessing, reading the source of pcase-..., and
experimentation.  Adequate documentation would have saved me a great
deal of time, frustration, and uncertainty.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).