Re: Documenting buffer display

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Documenting buffer display
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 23:42:47 +0300

> Still, if we want users to tweak only "some minor aspects of how a
> command works", the approach you sketch above is completely valid and
> I think that Juri's recent proposal to allow the directional choice of
> windows goes in the same direction and is even more universal.  We can
> use 'display-buffer-overriding-action' for the prefix argument case
> and I am all for it.  In either case, such a solution is not too
> distinct from Stephen Leake's 'other-frame-window' approach so we
> maybe should study that as well.

Both are useful: other-frame-window to support the prefixes C-x 4/5
and also S-left/S-right/S-up/S-down for relative window placement
to specify the direction in which to display the buffer.  Maybe for
non-interactive use we need new actions like display-buffer-in-direction,
and for interactive use also to support a prefix key modifier to specify
whether the displayed buffer should be selected afterwards or not.