Re: Edebug, with Elisp source in different frame - Edebug doesn't select

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Edebug, with Elisp source in different frame - Edebug doesn't select the source window.
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 16:22:53 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 14:22:26 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Before I submit a bug report for this, I wonder if I'm doing something
> silly.

> In a GUI Emacs (26.1 or master), instrument a function for edebug with
> C-u C-M-x in frame F1.  From a different frame, F2, cause this function
> to be called, thus entering edebug.  F2 is still selected.  Surely edebug
> should have selected F1?

> Note that in a text terminal, F1 gets selected as expected.  (Normally I
> run Emacs in a text terminal.)

> Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening to me in a GUI
> environment?  Do other people see the same?  Why has nobody else
> submitted a bug report for this?  Anything else?

I've found the answer, I think.  Edebug is using select-window to select
the frame.  What select-window doesn't do is to shift the X-Window focus.
For that, one needs to call select-frame-set-input-focus, something which
the current incarnation of edebug fails to do.

My first experimentation with s-f-set-i-focus indicates this is the
problem.  I will come up with a patch.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).