Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: hw
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:41:10 +0200

Phil Sainty <address@hidden> writes:

> On 09/09/18 11:27, hw wrote:
>>> Is C-/ and C-_ one key or two?  If two, then so it C-z; thus, Emacs is
>>> not worse than other editors in this regard.
>>
>> On a German keyboard with default bindings, those are both 3 keys each,
>> which are rather awkward to press: Shift+Control+7 and Shift+Control+-.
>
> That's unfortunate.

Fortunately, MOTT a single undo or a few are sufficient.  A few are
still ok, quite a few sucks, one reason being that it's easy to hit the
wrong key and screw up the undoing when you have to press C-x u so many
times.

> It's notable that of the CUA-style bindings, one can rebind C-z to
> `undo' in Emacs without the same degree of conflict that the other CUA
> keys introduce; so you might consider:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-z") #'undo)
>
> C-z is `suspend-frame' by default (which makes complete sense when
> Emacs is running in a terminal, so changing this default isn't an
> option IMO), but it's a convenient key to *intentionally* re-purpose
> if you know how to `suspend-frame' without it (n.b. C-x C-z is also
> provided by default).  Because it's such a fundamental behaviour,
> AFAIK no other default keymaps touch this key sequence.
>
> Or you could pick any other convenient `undo' binding, of course
> (but even then you might still change C-z.  I use C-z as a prefix
> key, with C-z C-z as `suspend-frame', which I find provides me with
> a very useful additional prefix for custom bindings.)

I could use C-v for undo.  Too much customizing has the disadvantage of
getting in trouble with not or differently customized Emacs`.

Maybe I should look into a way to have all customization files Emacs
needs on a web browser or the like so they can easily be accessed and
used everywhere without having to have multiple copies in all places
which then need to be kept in sync.  I'm probably not the first one to
have this idea ...

Using git for this comes to mind, but it is horribly difficult to set up
access to a git repo when users do not have ssh access to the machine.
Emacs would have to clone the repo during startup to put all its files
into place.

But then, it could be done using a wrapper script that updates the repo
and then starts Emacs.  I'll give that some thought.