Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 13:15:33 +1200

On 09/09/18 11:27, hw wrote:
>> Is C-/ and C-_ one key or two?  If two, then so it C-z; thus, Emacs is
>> not worse than other editors in this regard.
>
> On a German keyboard with default bindings, those are both 3 keys each,
> which are rather awkward to press: Shift+Control+7 and Shift+Control+-.

That's unfortunate.

It's notable that of the CUA-style bindings, one can rebind C-z to
`undo' in Emacs without the same degree of conflict that the other CUA
keys introduce; so you might consider:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-z") #'undo)

C-z is `suspend-frame' by default (which makes complete sense when
Emacs is running in a terminal, so changing this default isn't an
option IMO), but it's a convenient key to *intentionally* re-purpose
if you know how to `suspend-frame' without it (n.b. C-x C-z is also
provided by default).  Because it's such a fundamental behaviour,
AFAIK no other default keymaps touch this key sequence.

Or you could pick any other convenient `undo' binding, of course
(but even then you might still change C-z.  I use C-z as a prefix
key, with C-z C-z as `suspend-frame', which I find provides me with
a very useful additional prefix for custom bindings.)

-Phil