RE: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 07:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

> > FWIW, while I personally don't use delete-selection-mode, I wouldn't
> > object to enabling it by default (I'd probably disable it in my .emacs,
> > but I'd first try to keep it enabled to see if I can change my habits).
> >
> > But before that I'd appreciate if we could improve its implementation so
> > it doesn't rely on pre-command-hook.
>
> Incidentally, yesterday I discovered a case when Wdired breaks
> delete-selection-mode.  Selecting a file name in Wdired and starting
> to type its new name to completely replace an old name with a new one
> signals the error "No file on this line", then removes
> delete-selection-pre-hook from pre-command-hook while leaving
> delete-selection-mode still active, so delete-selection-mode becomes
> completely broken - it doesn't replace the selection anymore.
>
> I had to disable and then enable delete-selection-mode again
> to get delete-selection-pre-hook back to pre-command-hook.
>
> The error that removes delete-selection-pre-hook from pre-command-hook
> logged in *Messages* is:
>
>   Error in pre-command-hook (delete-selection-pre-hook): (error "No file on
> this
> line")

I don't see that at all. What recipe did you use, in what Emacs release?

1. emacs -Q
2. Turn on d-s-m
3. Dired in some buffer
4. C-x C-q ; enable Wdired
5. Select a complete file name
6. Type to replace that name with another name
7. C-x C-q ; disable Wdired

At no point did Emacs raise an error.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-30 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 07f8f9bc5a51f5aa94eb099f3e15fbe0c20ea1ea
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16299