Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: hw
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 17:52:07 +0200

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

> Without active regions, there would never be an expectation that backspace
> deletes anything but one character.

How come it wasn't distinguished between the concept of a region being
active and the visual aid of marking a region?

What's with the inconsistency that functions like query-replace are
/limited/ to the region while others, like backward-delete-char, are
/extended/ to the region when it is active?

I think for the strict-selection-mode I'd prefer, it would help to
disable transient-mark-mode.  But how can I see what I have selected?

It would even be possible to leave the visual markers active while the
user is doing something else if transient-mark-mode didn't insist on the
region being active when it's visually highlighted.  It would only need
a key binding to stop marking a region.  I'd appreciate it if I didn't
need to always do something with a region immediately and could leave it
highlighted, or leave several regions highlighted at the same time.

It seems transient-mark-mode started as a good idea and has evolved into
a very special weirdness which now attracts other weirdnesses, like
dangerous selection modes.