Re: GDB and compiler-operations

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GDB and compiler-operations
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 10:15:53 -0700

On 09/07/2018 08:58 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
On a newer platform where GDB can see C macros (you really should enable
this if you can, by the way, it mak,es debugging easier),
I'm on Debian testing, which doesn't strike me as old.
How new does it need to be?

Sorry, don't know offhand. But tool age doesn't appear to apply to you (see below).

I see this:

(gdb) p offsetof (struct Lisp_Vector, contents)
No symbol "__builtin_offsetof" in current context.
Hmm... indeed that's the error I was seeing the other day, but today
I get the other one.  IIRC this was the same machine, tho (and if not,
it was one running Debian testing or Debian stable, so nothing newer).

Most likely when you were getting the other message you compiled with plain -g instead of -g3. './configure' tries to default to -g3 if available but perhaps you overrode that, or it didn't work for you.