RE: Some developement questions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Some developement questions
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 09:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

> > I really *urge* you to turn `menu-bar-mode' back on, permanently.
>
> I live pretty happily with a disabled menu-bar.
> Disabling it doesn't prevent me from using it (in those rare cases
> where I find it more convenient), since I can access it with C-mouse-3.
>
> [ I started disabling the menu-bar many many years ago when the few extra
>   lines of screen real-estate it gave me seemed more worthwhile.
>   This benefit has diminished over the years as my screens's vertical size
>   has grown, but the day my 4:3 laptop dies the benefit will
>   increase again.  ]
>
> > I feel that so many of your questions would be answered by Emacs, if
> > you only asked it.
>
> Indeed, I think Emacs tries pretty hard to make it easy to find those
> answers, so while I don't urge anyone to enable the menu-bar, I strongly
> encourage people to *use* it for discovery purposes (including the
> discover the various additional items in the Help menu).

Yes. But if it is disabled you won't know when/whether a new mode
has added a menu-bar menu (unless you happen to use C-mouse-3
in that mode sometime). That probably doesn't matter to you, but
it might make a difference for a new user.

I agree with Phil S that it makes sense for a new user, especially,
to leave the menu-bar enabled. For someone a bit more experienced
your suggestion can make sense. Choosing to discover things by
exploring menus is in either case an active choice, but the visibility
of a new main menu on the menu-bar can invite investigation.