Re: Some developement questions

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 14:58:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> My hope was to do something a bit more intelligent with it -- with some
>> screen shots and rich text, as well as highlighting for menu items, so I
>> wrote it in org-mode. Alas I haven't had the time to actually integrate
>> it into Emacs.
>>
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/phillord/emacs-tutorial/master/tutorial.org
>>
>> If someone has the time to do the integration it's nearly ready to
>> go. To my mind, updating the tutorial would be a good thing just because
>> it would give the impression that it is updateable, rather than a thing
>> set in stone.
>
> Thanks.  That tutorial looks like a somewhat expanded version of our
> TUTORIAL; e.g., it has almost the same scope in terms of Emacs
> features.  I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that we were talking about a
> tutorial for the next step -- for those who have read the original
> TUTORIAL and want to learn about more advanced issues related to text
> editing.

It covers some never stuff, but yes, it is fairly similar. Personally, I
would like to ditch all the "how to move around" with keys stuff -- this
scares most people to hell, because they think that they need to learn
this to do something that they already know how to do these things.

In terms of advanced issues, my thought was to enable tutorial
extensions to go into ELPA and then have a navigational structure. The
current tutorial for the even trivial reason that it's flat.

Phil