Re: Tramp and fixnum

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Tramp and fixnum
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 08:18:39 -0700

Michael Albinus wrote:

And for the inode number conversion, I check whether function `bignump'
is available. If yes, I don't convert.

I must be slow this morning, but I don't see why that test needs to know whether bignums are supported. That is, for this change:

-    ;; Convert inode.
-    (unless (listp (nth 10 attr))
+    ;; Convert inode.  Big numbers have been added to Emacs 27.
+    (unless (or (fboundp 'bignump) (listp (nth 10 attr)))

How about changing to the following instead?

     (let ((inode (nth 10 attr)))
        (unless (or (integerp inode) (listp inode))

That is, if the inode number is already an integer, leave it alone. This should work regardless of whether bignums are supported.