Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f18af6c: Audit use of lsh and fix glitches

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f18af6c: Audit use of lsh and fix glitches
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:44:25 -0700

Ken Brown wrote:
I think the previous code was correct: now we have bignums, we should
no longer return 'unsupported on machines with 30/32-bit fixnums,

I think you're missing the point of that code.  The function is vc-hg-state-fast.  If it returns 'unsupported, that simply means that the slower function will be used.

True, but even bignums should be faster than the slow function, so the code really shouldn't be worrying about integer width. Fixing this, though, will be a bit trickier than simply removing the width check, as I expect the code uses eq on integers. Until that assumption is fixed (or until we start hashing bignums) the integer width check still makes sense.