Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 14:31:58 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 12:10:01 +0200

> >> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
>
> >> Now, one thing that is portable is compiling Emacs Lisp code to C.
>
> > That again needs a compiler and Binutils, so it suffers from the same
> > drawback.
>
> It could be used ahead-of-time (or whatever the term is), to move emacs
> code currently implemented in C to lisp.

The intent is to allow Emacs to compile _any_ Lisp into native code.
The main advantage of that is when the Lisp in question didn't come
with the distribution.  Because otherwise we could just JIT-compile
everything in advance and be done.

IOW, what you mention is a one-time feature, mainly useful to Emacs
developers.  The drawback I mentioned is for the Emacs users, and
AFAIU the JIT feature mainly targets the users.