Re: Change to NS drawing routines

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: Change to NS drawing routines
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:20:17 +0200

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:46:59 +0100
> From: Alan Third <address@hidden>
>
> from http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00435.html
>
> I can understand the argument to an extent, but I don’t have another
> solution.

Thanks for the pointer.

By the way, I noticed that one of the problems YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
discovered with the current way of drawing is fixed in your branch:

> Link:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-04/msg00440.html
>
> (Another problem with drawing outside the "expose" handler can be
> observed with the NS port on Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier: the resize
> handle at the right bottom corner gets overwritten.)

It's a small detail, but neat nevertheless.

> > > My experience so far is that performance is not noticeably slower than
> > > master, however if someone with a slower Mac could try it that would
> > > be helpful.
> >
> > I don't notice a speed difference compared to master on my slow box
> > running macOS 10.6.  Do we have any benchmarks that we could use to
> > check?
>
> Unfortunately I’m not aware of any. I’m tempted to say that if there
> is no clear performance penalty, then it’s not a problem.

I tried M-x benchmark RET (redisplay) RET in master and in
scratch/ns-drawing, with scratch/ns-drawing often being faster in the
middle of big files like xdisp.c.  But I don't remember if I messed
with compiler options recently, so it would be good if somebody else
could check.