Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:04:03 +0200

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Elias,

> But if the user really fires off 250 threads, then it makes sense that
> they get that many frames. After all, this is a computer and they are
> supposed to do what you tell them to do.

Why? I don't see a reason to get a new frame for a thread.

> In any case, just magically switching focus to a y-or-n-p that was
> called in a different thread sounds like it could be incredibly error
> prone.
>
> Imagine if you're typing in a buffer and you're writing a word that
> has the letter y in it. As you are about to insert the y into the
> buffer, a background thread asks "are you sure you want to delete all
> your files?".

I haven't proposed ever such a scenario. User input is a critical
section in a thread. Once a prompt appears in a minibuffer, the focus of
user input must be changed to another thread untilthe complete input is
read

> Even if you check the minibuffer before you type every key, the thread
> could still steal focus just before you type a key.
>
> I don't care much about how this is implemented, but I certainly would
> not want focus to be switched off without warning.

Nobody wants this. I believe, all of us agree with this.

> Regards,
> Elias

Best regards, Michael.