Re: GTK interface modification

From: DJ Stauffer
Subject: Re: GTK interface modification
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 01:34:22 -0500

On 08/14/2018 03:09 AM, martin rudalics wrote:

> > What I'd like to do is put a one or two pixel border (of whatever
> > color I configure, naturally) around the outer edge of the window,
> > to indicate that the window is selected.
>
> It won't be easy.  First you will have to decide whether that border
> should go away when the window is deselected or you just want to
> change its appearance.  I'd choose the latter because you only have to
> redraw the border when a window gets (de-)selected and not the rest of
> the window.

 ^ Yeah, that's kind of how I figured it would work.

> Then you have to make sure that the position and size of the window's
> text area are calculated correctly.  Hence window_text_bottom_y and
> the window_box functions in xdisp.c have to be modified accordingly.

^ Yeah I figured that I'd be modifying xdisp.c -- I've done a bit of that in the past when modifying someone else's patch years ago.

> And finally you have to actually redraw the border when a window gets
> (de-)selected, the appropriate moments given by the mode-line code.

^ Is this also in xdisp.c, or is that code elsewhere?

> BTW, there's no sense to make this GTK specific.  Drawing windows is
> handled by Emacs itself with some toolkit support for the scroll bars.

^ I was trying to specify that I wanted something to work in the graphical version of emacs (and wasn't worried about the terminal version, for obvious reasons ) -- since I primarily use the graphical version.  I probably should have worded that differently, but the GTK version is the only one I ever use, so that's what pops in my head when thinking of the graphical version.

Thanks for the help.