Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 17:56:27 +0200

Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> +If this option is @code{nil} (the default), visiting a file is
>>> +performed synchronously.  A regexp value let files, which name matches
>>>                                           ^^^
>>>                                           lets
>                                                       ^ and no comma here

But shouldn't then both commas be removed?

"A regexp value lets files which name matches the regexp being visited
asynchronously, ..."

Is this really better?

> How about this:
> "Non-nil means the next interactively called command runs asynchronously."
> Or since commands are really interactively called functions, just this:
> "Non-nil means the next command runs asynchronously."

No, not every command runs asynchronously. "C-x & C-x C-b" calls
`list-buffers' ("C-x C-b"), but this isn't performed
asynchronously. Every command can decide itself whether it reacts on the
"C-x &" prefix command; for now these are the file visiting
commands. More shall follow.

(Yes, Drew, I know that the prefix command is `universal-async-argument'.
Don't let us discuss it, again :-)

> Steve Berman

Best regards, Michael.