C-x & (was: Introducing thread-safe Tramp)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: C-x & (was: Introducing thread-safe Tramp)
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 17:25:33 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Drew,

>> This needs to be documented better in the Elisp manual, but first we
>> shall agree how to call this technique. "Prefix argument" is out of the
>> game. Maybe "prefix command"? Or "prefix sequence", as proposed in this
>> thread?
>
> As Richard suggested, don't call it anything. At least do not call it
> any of those things (it's not a command or a prefix key (sequence)).

I'm all for an agreement. But until now I hear only how to NOT call
it. I'd prefer to see a counter proposal.

And of course, "C-x &" invokes a command. This is equivalent to "M-x
universal-async-argument". So I don't see what's wrong with "prefix
command" - it is a command which precedes another command.

> We can, if you want, have a separate discussion, taking our time, to
> decide whether and what to name this.

Subject adapted.

Best regards, Michael.