Re: ucs-normalize and diacritics

From: K. Handa
Subject: Re: ucs-normalize and diacritics
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 23:21:54 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I meanwhile removed tis620-2533 on master and made it an alias to
> thai-iso8859-11.  It looked to me that a difference of one character
> doesn't justify to have another charset with peculiar traits which in
> addition causes unintuitive behavior.  Do you think that change is OK?

I think it is not the right way.  Currently,

(encode-char #xa0 'tis620-2533) => nil
(encode-char #xa0 'thai-iso8859-11) => 32

But, your change results in:

(encode-char #xa0 'tis620-2533) => 32

which is simply wrong.

That unintuitive behavior you mentioned is just Emacs' fault, and can be
fixed, for instance, by my previous patch.

---
K. Handa
address@hidden