Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 00:40:16 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Well, the FP calculations in Lisp are certainly in places that get
used a lot: the line-move stuff and window.el stuff.

OK, I constructed a little benchmark based on some of the window.el stuff, and timed it with immediate floats instead of the longstanding way of implementing floats as pointers into the heap, and on this benchmark Emacs was 82% faster with immediate floats, i.e., the CPU time on my usual 64-bit platform for (bench 1000000) shrank from 10.776 now to 5.914 seconds with immediate floats. So it looks promising. This was the only benchmark I tried.

Patch to Emacs and benchmark source code attached. The benchmark was byte-compiled. The Emacs patch is just a hack; it's not intended to be a real implementation.