Re: edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing a variable's value.
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 21:30:28 +0300

> From: Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:47:53 -0400
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > So, can I get edebug to print out the contents of a variable containing
> > a function?  If so how?
>
> (fset 'edebug-prin1-to-string #'prin1-to-string) ; gives Emacs 25 behaviour
>
> Or
>
> (setq cl-print-compiled 'static) ; shows constants array, but not bytecode

It's IMO not nice to have this customizable on such a low level, let
alone in a different package.  I think we will need Edebug defcustom's
for tailoring this behavior.  (And given the terse output of the
current default in this case, I wonder why we changed the default
behavior from what it was in Emacs 25.)

Maybe it's too late to introduce defcustom's before 26.1 is released,
but in any case, this should be called out in NEWS.  Could you please
add an entry about this?

Thanks.