edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing a va

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: edebug: regrettable loss of information in Emacs 26.1 when printing a variable's value.
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 17:10:19 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

In the upcoming Emacs 26.1, I'm in edebug.  In the program I'm
debugging, there is something nasty in the variable
`syntax-propertize-function', and I need to find out what.

So I do "e" and type in that variable name.

What comes back is this:

    #f(compiled-function (start end) #<bytecode 0x191eb39>)

.  This is thoroughly unhelpful.  In previous versions of Emacs, this
would have printed out the function in enough detail to give variable
names, function names, etc., which could be used to search through the
Emacs source with.

What am I supposed to do with "0x191eb39"?  Can I give that as an
argument to some *Help* function which will give me more details?

I've searched through NEWS for details of this change, in the hope of
finding an option to reverse it, but found nothing.  I searched for
"edebug", then "debug".  Why is there nothing in NEWS about this
somewhat significant change?

So, can I get edebug to print out the contents of a variable containing
a function?  If so how?

I can remember vaguely this topic being discussed on emacs-devel, and
wish I'd paid more attention at the time.

It looks like I might need to go back to Emacs 25.3 to do debugging.
This isn't good.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).