Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 00:10:23 -0400

  > Argument: the popular ways of learning _now_ are blogs (which are the
  > thing of "web 2.0", although nobody seems to be using that term now) and
  > videos (and I think YouTube started the trend of people putting their
  > videos on the Internet).

One cannot refute, or consider, a fragmentary argument.  With your
explanation, I see what the argument consists of and what conclusion
it tries to demonstrate.

Thank you.

Here is my response to the argument:

That claim may be true for certain kinds of people, for instance young
people with a technical orientation who do everything by internet.  I
suspect that many of you fit into that category.  Most people do not.

The Emacs Lisp Intro, in particular, is aimed at people who don't
pick things up quickly on the internet.

That said, I would not mind if we offered a video also.  Would someone
like to make one?

As for "blogs", as far as I know that only means a sort of regular
series publication, usually not very long.  How would this manual
differ from an item in a blog?  Only by size?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.