Re: New jrpc.el JSONRPC library

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: New jrpc.el JSONRPC library
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 00:11:32 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-05-20 11:54, João Távora wrote:
>> In fact, no. At least not ideally. *All* of LSP is
>> language-agnostic.
>
> Doesn't LSP-mode let you use language-specific additions, for modes
> that require more complex interaction than the default style?

If your question is about lsp-mode.el, I'm not the best person to ask.

If it's about about LSP in general, here's my understanding of the
spec. LSP 3.0 allows "experimental" features to the protocol to be
explored between clients and servers, but as the wording suggests, the
idea is that these features are incubated in a some server-client
combinations, and eventually make it into the official spec in a
language-agnostic way.

LSP goes a long way to provide, in a language-agnostic way, things that
Emacs would normally do major-modely (like "codeAction" for interactive
commands, "rangeFormatting" for indentation, etc).

That said, as Josh points out in the other thread, eglot.el's plan is
not to shut the door on these experiments in any way. That hypothetical
code should go into the major-mode's .el file, hopefully briefly, until
eventually it ends up in eglot.el as a part of the official spec.

João