Re: New jrpc.el JSONRPC library (Was: [ELPA] New package: eglot)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New jrpc.el JSONRPC library (Was: [ELPA] New package: eglot)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 11:46:05 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 17:27:54 +0100
>
> So, off-list Stefan likewise suggested that some level of LSP
> "infrastructure" is integrated into Emacs, which could lead to merging
> eglot.el and other LSP clients like lsp-mode.el in the future.
>
> As JSONRPC support is a mandatory component of LSP, I've extracted a
> library implementing the JSONRPC spec (see www.jsonrpc.org) out of
> eglot.el.
>
> I propose this library, jrpc.el, for Emacs core (or GNU ELPA, or
> both). I hope people can review it, comment on it, and propose changes,
> particularly developers of other existing LSP-modes.  I attach to the
> end of this mail with a reasonably complete ";;; Commentary" header,
> including a simple usage example.
>
> JSONRPC is apparently also used for other non-LSP applications. See
> http://json-rpc.info/.

Thanks, this sounds like a good addition.  Does it (or can it) work
with the built-in JSON support we have on the master branch?

And I still wonder whether more of eglot's LSP support should be in
core.  After all, only customizing LSP for a specific language should
be left for the major modes, the rest of interaction with LSP is
probably language-agnostic, right?