Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Encoding of etc/HELLO
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 10:17:33 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Thanks, I used this idea to extend Enriched mode with support of
'charset' properties, and then recoded HELLO in UTF-8 and placed it
under Enriched mode.

Thanks for doing all that.

In looking at the new etc/HELLO, I see many uses of <x-charset><param> that seem to be unnecessary when Emacs is viewing the file. For example, the first few uses are:

<x-charset><param>latin-iso8859-1</param>¡Hola!, Grüß Gott, Hyvää päivää, Tere õhtust, Bon</x-charset><x-charset><param>latin-iso8859-3</param>ġu Cze</x-charset><x-charset><param>latin-iso8859-2</param>ść!, Dobrý den, </x-charset>

Can't the abovementioned formatting commands be removed without affecting what any Emacs user sees, because the corresponding character sets are not unified in Unicode? Would it be OK to simplify /etc/HELLO to remove unnecessary formatting commands, and to keep only the formatting commands that are plausibly needed in a Unicode text file? And if so, what heuristic should be used to remove the unnecessary formatting commands?

I assume that the formatting commands were done automatically, so perhaps I'm talking about potential changes to lisp/textmodes/enriched.el.