Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 22:30:04 -0400

  > There are other elements like style sheets that are needed for rendering
  > the whole message.  The point is that the rendering engine needs to
  > support such security measures in the first place.

Yes, that is right.

Referring to any external elements from HTML in an email
exposes the user to various forms of mistreatment.
Security in an MUA includes protecting the user from all that.

  > > (And private/secret correspondence shouldn't include such external
  > > references in the first place, IMHO.)

  > Sadly, most people don't care enough.

It's often not "people".  Many companies systematically use this
security hole to track users.  I am very glad that nobody can
tell whether I have read a message -- because I do it in Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.