Re: Very annoying Flymake regression in Emacs 26.1

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Very annoying Flymake regression in Emacs 26.1
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 10:01:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Is the above scenario the usual way of using Flymake, or is it some
> variation that could be rare?

M-x flymake and (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'flymake-mode) are the two most
mundane ways I can think of for starting flymake.

I've dug a little more and it happens when the visited file is in a
project without a dominating file called "Makefile". So I wrote

> "If there isn't such a target in the Makefile, or if there isn't any Makefile"

But only the second part is true. But it's still pretty common. Notice
for example, how that includes visiting files in a clean Emacs checkout
before the configure step.

> If it isn't rare, I wonder how come no one noticed until now that we
> are littering the filesystem with these

Good question! I guess few people are using it, or they're using it
with special care, or they are used to the _flymake.c garbage
anyway because the old flymake used to make it from time to time (though
not in such a trivial case)

João