Calling eldoc-message directly

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Calling eldoc-message directly
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 20:57:49 -0400

Hi emacs-devel,

The changelog for Emacs 27.1 says "For ElDoc support, you should set
'eldoc-documentation-function' instead of calling 'eldoc-message' directly".

At least one of my packages calls eldoc-message directly, and I'm not sure how
to get rid of it.

In that package, I use a server process to get information about the current
buffer.  I can use it to asynchronously retrieve documentation about
identifiers, among other things.  This pattern seems pretty common (I think
that's how tide, elpy, cider, and multiple other modes work).

I currently have an eldoc-documentation-function that sends an asynchronous
query, waits for a few milliseconds in the hope to get a quick answer, and
otherwise registers a callback that calls eldoc-message directly.  That
callback checks that the buffer hasn't been modified and that the point hasn't
moved, and if so calls eldoc-message.

Can someone recommend a proper implementation, not based on eldoc-message? (I
have vague recollections of a related thread on emacs-devel, but I can't seem
to find it)

Thanks,
Clément.