Re: Musings on creating an HTML-based WYSIWYG mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Musings on creating an HTML-based WYSIWYG mode
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 21:45:00 -0400

> Let's say the user is typing away at something resembling this
> paragraph, and then decides to make "typing" bold, so the user would go
> back to that work, mark it and issue whatever command there is for "make
> this bold".  The mode would do the change to the HTML document, ask shr
> to re-render it, and then display the results.

Sounds OK.

> This is, of course, not like what Emacs does normally when editing text,
> and would break a lot of invariants that people are used to.

I don't think so, actually.  At least, I don't think it should be very
serious issue (and in the worst case we could do a comparison between
the old and new rendering to try and modify only the "relevant" portion
of the buffer).
IOW, nothing too worrisome.

> So here's what I think: I think somebody (i.e., me) should try
                                                  ^^
Huh?  Me?  No way!  I think you meant you!

> But like I said, I don't have time at the moment.  :-)

Sounds like the ideal moment to start hacking then!

        Stefan