Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:15:45 -0800

On 03/06/2018 12:54 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
However, making progress on Emacs as a word processor is one of my
specific goals.  This is what Emacs needs to do to be useful in all
the ways it should be useful.

If you want to add word processing features to Emacs, I suggest implementing the necessary changes features yourself instead of suggesting that discussion of other priorities is somehow "interfering".

Code wins arguments. `eval' tends not to work very well when you pass it a block of prose about how Emacs should be a word processor.

It will only take a few more features to make Emacs start to be useful
as a word processor.  Once we can do proper formatting of paragraphs
with variable-width text, with a few kinds of alignment, and we can
save these in files, we will be able to use it for writing letters and
handouts, instead of LibreOffice.

Sure. It'd be nice if Emacs were suitable for that task. I don't see the urgency, considering that plenty of equally free packages exist.