Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 09:21:29 -0800

On 03/05/2018 06:02 AM, John Yates wrote:
in spite of running on a state of the art
desktop with 64GB RAM, 4GHz+ multi-core processor and high-end gamer
graphics Emacs feels progressively less responsive

I'm feeling that on my older work desktop too (8 GiB RAM, 2.6 GHz quad-core, circa-2010 AMD Deneb). However, I suspect it has mostly to do with things other than GC.

The main argument to improve GC is robustness, not typical-case performance. We're still installing last-minute hacks into Emacs 26 because of real-world problems here. It would be useful if we didn't have to mess with these hacks because we fixed GC to not blow the C stack.