Issue customizing package-user-dir in emacs -Q session [emacs 27.x]

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Issue customizing package-user-dir in emacs -Q session [emacs 27.x]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:35:08 +0000

Hello,

For CI testing of my emacs-based projects, I customize package-user-dir in an emacs -Q session to install the required packages in a "sandbox" area.

As an example, for my eless project, I run "make vcheck"[1] to install the latest Org stable version in an area separate from the user's default ~/.emacs.d/elpa by customizing package-user-dir in a test setup file[2].

The problem is that that approach does not work on emacs 27.x, as it probably depends on early-init.el even in emacs -Q sessions.

To confirm this issue:

1. git clone https://github.com/kaushalmodi/eless
2. make vcheck

You can review the linked Makefile and setup-eless.el.

@Radon Can you please this on emacs 27.x and suggest how to make it work?

Thanks.
--

Kaushal Modi