Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 01:44:19 +0300

Hi Tom,

On 1/18/18 01:02, Tom Tromey wrote:

A while ago I wrote to this list about some work I'd done in etags.
This was one of the features -- that is, I made "etags -u" work in etags
mode, not just ctags mode.

ctags supports incremental updates?

The overall thrust of the project was to combine the use of a config
file in the source tree with auto-updating.  The former I considered
necessary to (1) avoid dealing with Makefiles and whatnot (and, building
tags in the source tree is much nicer when doing out-of-tree builds...),
and (2) make it so that Emacs could run "etags -u" on save without
needing to teach it about the correct command line arguments -- they are
in the config file (ages ago I did this same project but stored the
command line arguments in the TAGS file; but this patch was never
accepted).

The config file duplicates some info in .gitignore and project-vc-ignores, though. Which is unfortunate.

I also doubt that 'make tags' will go away anytime soon.

Any chance your code supports something analogous to 'global --single-update' (except with multiple file arguments, hopefully)? That's what I've been trying to describe.

I suppose I could push my branch to git if that would be convenient.
Just let me know.

I'm sure it would be helpful, even if only to study the approach.