Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 00:03:07 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If you
are saying that ChangeLogs are_never_  useful in these situations,
then that's a strangely extremist view

I doubt whether anybody is going that far. (Hand-illuminated manuscripts are occasionally useful too, but nobody is recommending them for maintaining Emacs. :-)

Although the current ChangeLog format is sometimes useful, nowadays it is an unnecessary luxury because so much of its benefit is now available via reasonably-effective VC tools, whereas its cost hasn't gone down (quite the reverse, I'd say). And I say that as someone who reads ChangeLogs quite a bit and who appreciates their occasional utility.