Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 17:02:03 -0500

> So you remember when each release was made?

Wikipedia does (that's what I use to find that part of the information).

> And also when the corresponding release branch was cut?

If I know that the commit was before the release branch was cut, then
I don't even need to look at the final code.  But usually, I don't know
that and I don't know either on which branch the commit was installed.

That's the reason that I need to check the actual code of the release.

> And mind you, in my scenario many times the date of the change is not
> given.  Rather, someone complains about something in version XX.YY,
> and I suspect some feature/change, but don't have a clear idea whether
> that feature/change was introduced before or after that version.

I look at the feature's code, dig in with vc-region-history to get the
corresponding commit, and that gives me the date.

vc-region-history is almost always the first thing I use when it comes
to "commit/changelog" info.  And that's also where the subject of this
thread hurts (I sometimes resort to making a "git worktree add" to get
the revision before the file was moved, and use vc-region-history on
that to see the rest of the history).

        Stefan