Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 01:53:08 -0700

Nicolas Petton wrote:
First, if I'm not being trusted with the release tarballs, somebody else
can build them next time.

Second, you can easily diff the emacs-25.3 tarball against emacs-25.2.

Even if I did create a branch and tag before publishing the tarball,
you'd have no guarantee that the tarball actually contains the content
of the git commit.  Diffing is the only way for you to see the actual
changes.

All quite true. Still, trust is typically established by multiple means. Many users won't have time to track down where the diff was published or to read the diff, or they won't have the technical ability to understand the diff's implications. And many users won't know who you are. But if these users trust savannah.gnu.org, a tagged commit there can be enough for them so that they don't have to do the other stuff. (And there may be some very cautious users who want to do all of the above....)

So it is helpful to have a tagged commit at the time of release, even though a tag by itself is not enough to satisfy the most-cautious, and even though many users don't care about the tag.

Some background here. I've managed releases for the public-domain time zone database (tzdb) for several years. Some of my correspondents there are *quite* cautious, way more cautious than anything mentioned in this thread. They have asked for multiple ways to verify that each release is what it purports to be, beyond what I thought was needed. But they're *users*. They know their needs better than I do. And if they say they want SHA-512 checksums in addition to GPG checksums, who am I to tell them that they're redundant? I want them to trust the tzdb distribution, so I try to accommodate their concerns, not to argue with them.