Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 16:44:44 +0300

It's not clear that there is any shortcoming in Emacs internals.
The whole discussion is a proof that there is. All the practical solutions here are bad. Including mine.

But you still haven't addressed the real problem, which is that when
Emacs inserts `package-initialize' into the init-file, it usually does
so incorrectly.
I have addressed this before - "in case you a)don't use package.el and b)don't use any other package manager and c)don't suppress the proposed message manually, it's pretty safe to assume that you don't have much of init anyway and you're our intended target". We can add: d)you choose to do that insertion. When we combine abcd, such insertion would almost always improve users init. Won't fix other possible problems, but would still be an improvement.

Also, please note that such optional insertion is quite secondary to my proposal, just warning user without any interactive options is fine with me too.

P. S. I think that instead of using the phrase "second init-file" you should use "separate package.el config". Talking about a second init creates more confusion and resistance from other people, than necessary. Though I still feel that having a separate package.el config would not have been warranted even if it was the only alternative to the current dumb (package-initialize) insertion.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev