Re: Licence of ts-comint

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Licence of ts-comint
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:33:10 -0700

> The GPL does not allow linking GCC front ends with nonfree backends. They
> would have had to write an entire compiler.

Just to clarify on this point: There are nonfree frontends you can buy in
order to build your own compiler, such as the one from Edison Design Group. I
know Texas Instruments uses it to build a proprietary compiler for their
chipsets. The GPL has not stopped this from happening, it's just prevented
them from using free software, and thus the community from receiving any of
their work (which a looser open source license may have permitted).

The GPL is polarizing: There's a group of people who use only that, and a
group who use none of it. LGPL is the only license I know of that bridges the
two sides, while still being within the interests of the FSF.