Re: Deprecate TLS1.0 support in emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Deprecate TLS1.0 support in emacs
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 17:21:56 -0400

>>> IMO, it isn't right to display notifications there from a program that
>>> runs in the foreground.  Too far from user eyes, too.
SM> Agreed.  This functionality is for use when Emacs wants to notify the
SM> user about something happening elsewhere than where the user is
SM> currently focused.
> I respectfully disagree. Notifications don't have an implicit user
> attention scope. They are posted no matter where the user is focused,
> typically in a globally shared area of the screen to make them easy to
> notice and consistent in appearance.

But exactly because it's posted in a area independent from the current
focus, it makes it rather undesirable to use it for something that is
currently in focus.

Can you give me examples where this notification area is used by other
programs for something related to the current user's action?  In my
experience, in such situations they'll rather use something like
a tooltip, a dialog box, or some message shown within the application's
own window.

        Stefan