Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GitLab CI setup file in scratch/tzz/gitlab
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 23:25:15 -0400

  > > As for magit, we don't have legal papers to include it in Emacs,
  > > so please don't encourage poeple to use it.

  > I'm curious as to why. It is GPL, even GPLv3. Given that it is free
  > software, is there a good reason why one should discourage use of
  > it?

We want the Emacs distribution to be complete -- to contain everything
needed to use Emacs in the _recommended_ way, aside from low level
general-purpose facilities that Emacs uses (and other programs use).

We can't include magit in Emacs.  If we treated magit as part of the
way we recommend for people to use Emacs, that creates a problem
since Emacs could not be complete.

  > > To keep Emacs honest, we must promote the tools we can include in
  > > Emacs.  If those seem insufficient, then we should improve them.
  > > Perhaps that includes replacing magit (if we can't get papers for
  > > magit).

  > Has it been tried?

I think that a year or two ago people found it would be hard to get
papers from the developers of magit.

I don't think people have tried replacing the parts of magit that we
can't get papers for.  Maybe that is a good approach to use.

--
Dr Richard Stallman