Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2017 17:29:32 +0300

> From: Richard Copley <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:02:25 +0100
> Cc: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>, Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> On MS Windows, one WM_MOUSEWHEEL event doesn't always mean the same
> as another. Programs need to examine the wParam to find the scroll
> distance. As far as I can tell Emacs doesn't do that.

Not sure what you mean by "examine wParam".  We do use the recommended
GET_WHEEL_DELTA_WPARAM macro.

> This might (possibly) explain Kunihiro's results

Were they on MS-Windows?  I'm not sure.

> if what Raymond Chen calls a
> "sub-detent mouse" was involved. (See "Scrollbars bart [sic] 6 – The wheel",
> "https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20030807-00/?p=42963";.)

What that blog suggests, AFAIU, means that the amount of scrolling
could not be controlled via the system customization interfaces, only
via Emacs's user options.  Is that what we want?  It would mean that
Emacs behaves differently from other applications on the same system.