Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:44:56 +0000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:47 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:22:36 +0000
>
>  mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(1 ((shift) . 5) ((control) . nil))
>  mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil
>
> FWIW, I like the suggested default change too. I anyways had the progressive speed set to nil in my config.

It is strange that you-all say that, while for me the defaults work
quite well.

This could be a combination of getting used to the default + the type of mouse.

I use Logitech Performance MX mouse which has a hardware button (button below the scroll wheel here: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/814dF6jfIoL._SL1500_.jpg ) to toggle the scroll wheel to scroll smoothly vs in clicks. If I happen to scroll in emacs with the scroll wheel in smooth mode, the default 5-line scrolling gets very dizzy. OTOH the 1-line scrolling works fine in both smooth and "clicky" scrolls.

Also I have disabled the progressive scroll in my config for quite some time now. I don't have the notes with that setting, but I vaguely remember the default setting to not give a very good scrolling experience.

If you turn the wheel one click, does text scroll by 5 lines or by
more?  I get exactly 5 lines, which looks to me a much better default
than have it scroll by just one line.

Yes, functionally it behaves as expected; no issues there.

PS: Thanks to Tak and this thread, I learned about mouse-wheel-scroll-amount. While I did not customize that option earlier, I had unknowingly set a "scroll by 1 line" behavior by manually binding mouse-4 and mouse-5.
--

Kaushal Modi