Re: Reformat all of src/

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 23:32:55 +0700

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think that if you notice whether the indentation is made from tabs,
> spaces or a mix of them, you're probably doing something wrong.

My mind is configured for 4-position indentation. If a source file
uses spaces and a different indentation width, I notice but am okay
with that.

My editors are all configured for 4-position tabs. If a source file
uses a mix of tabs and spaces and assumes 8-position tabs, I notice
and am annoyed. (I am forced to locally override tab-width when
reading nxml.el, several other Emacs sources, and many C sources, both
GNU and other.)

By your estimate, I am doing something wrong. What exactly is that?

PS: I recognize the unfortunate effect reformatting would have on
source archaeology, but maybe we could flag each file which is
unreadable with a tab-width other than 8 with a file-local variable?