Re: Reformat all of src/

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:01:04 -0500

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
John Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> ​They made sense 40 years ago when my 2315 disk pack held 1.2MB.
> These days I too think they suck.​

I think that if you notice whether the indentation is made from tabs,
spaces or a mix of them, you're probably doing something wrong.

"Something" is not very helpful.  Would you care to suggest a set of best
practices to insulate me (or more importantly a programming newbie) from
<ht> pain?​

Pain extends beyond mere emacs editing.  ​I have worked on projects where
tabstops were at multiples other than 8.  I commend to you the task of writing
a language frontend that tries to report errors in context in such settings.​
And - assuming you believe in unit testing - providing tests for that facility.

Not saying it cannot be done.  (I have done it.)  But it does leave one
wondering why such an anachronism is allowed to persist.

/john