Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 14:11:23 -0600

Following up to what John said, with a perspective that may be useful to Eli:

Eli, I have a great deal of respect for your technical judgement and the amount
of work you put into Emacs.  But I have a slightly different take on what
maintainership means.

When I was in a position similar to yours (one of a small group of core
co-maintainers, in the Subversion project), there were a few occasions when a
major technical decision went in a direction I didn't agree with.  My
disagreement was not of the "this will destroy the project" sort, but I did
feel the decisions were poor technical choices that could be a long-term drag
on the project -- creating extra maintenance work for existing developers, and
creating barriers to entry for new developers.  In other words, objections very
similar to yours now.

In each case, discussions eventually made it clear to me that my opinion was
not going to prevail.  There were just too many developers who felt
differently.  This didn't tempt me to step down from maintainership, though I
will admit that it *did* tempt me to keep score a bit, so that later on I might
be able to say "Hey folks, remember when I turned out to be right about X, and
Y, and Z?  So please listen to me this time."  I think I may even have used
that privilege once or twice later :-), though I don't remember clearly if I
did.  What I do remember clearly is that I turned out to be wrong in at least
one of the cases (at least, I established to my own satisfaction that my
warnings had been unwarranted).

Your value as a maintainer is not lessened if a particular decision doesn't go
the way you recommended.  (Of course, if maintainership becomes unenjoyable to
you because of the decision, that's a different question, and only you can make
that call.)  I think there is even a good argument that your continued
maintainership actually becomes slightly *more* important to the project: of
all the people who could spot whether the negative consequences of the decision
are coming true, you would perhaps be the person most likely to spot it, and
most likely to point it out to the other developers.

You must make your own decision, of course.  But I hope this perspective is a
useful response to your question:

  "...What kind of maintainer will I be if I cannot base my judgment and
  decisions on a few principal ideas I have about Emacs development?
  What could replace those ideas to be the base for decisions I need to
  make almost every day?"

(I pretty much agree with everything John said in his email below, too, for
what it's worth.)

Best regards,
-Karl