Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 00:08:55 -0800

EZ> The key issue is performance, as was stated many times. If the performance
EZ> of loadup after all the speedups is not good enough, then we will have to
EZ> conclude that this idea cannot fly, at least not yet. (That conclusion
EZ> might be revisited later, if/when disks, filesystems, and machines become
EZ> faster.) It will also not fly if no one will pick up the gauntlet and work
EZ> on that idea to get it to completion.

I think Daniel has helped to stimulate us by offering a close-to-working
solution to an ancient problem. The code it replaces is worse; while the
as-yet-unproven idea of a fast .elc loader is better. It's now upon us to
prove that we can beat the portable dumper, by making good on a fast .elc
loader.

That said, I don't want to let Daniel's idea wither on the vine while we prove
or disprove a fast .elc loader. Sure, we can wait a couple of months to give
that idea a chance while we review the dumper, but if we don't get an .elc
loader in that time, we should give Daniel's idea a go, if for no other reason
than that the work is almost done, and we could gain some valuable experience
-- and a way to do some real performance comparisons.

If the .elc idea pans out (and I really hope it can), I think even Daniel will
be relieved at not having to maintain his dumper, and he can help us to
extricate his helpful addition.

EZ> Once again, if those ideas seem strange, let alone incorrect, to you-all
EZ> out there, just say the word, and I will step down. Then I can stop
EZ> worrying about the portable dumper, and you can stop worrying about my
EZ> strange ideas. Emacs is not my private project; I'm only entitled to
EZ> promote my ideas if the others either support them or trust me to DTRT.
EZ> Please decide which one is it, and let's move on.

Please do not step down, Eli. Please don't. It sickens my heart every time I
hear you suggest it, so just stop doing that for my sake. :)