Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:50:03 +0300

On 04/24/2016 12:54 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

At the present time, I have no way of automating the connection between the
debbugs tracker and the patchwork server. It *could* be done, using the
pwclient utility on the debbugs server to close related issues, but I'm afraid
it's not a switch I can turn on today. :(

I think it should help a lot. But there's no big hurry.

Could they be grouped somehow? Most of the time, the next patch submitted to
a bug report supersedes the previous one.

I haven't seen any way to do that yet, and it might not be true that there is
always exactly one patch per bug that is the correct one. For now, determining
this will be a job of the patch worker.

What I had in mind is more advanced systems like Gerrit where patch submitters work with patchsets directly and can indicate whether a new one replaces the old one (that happens somewhat automatically because of the workflow: you post the new patch as the successor of the old one because you want to preserve continuity and see the previous comments in one history with the comments to the current iteration).

Maybe the simplicity of Patchwork will turn out all right. We'll have to see.

Btw, glibc apparently uses Patchwork as well. They've even documented their
workflow with it:

    https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Patch%20Review%20Workflow

Looks fine, but it also shows the simplicity of what's provided: it's a repository of patches where we double-check that no patch has gone without a second look. And that's it.

We can't comment on them there (i.e. review), or apply with a click of a button.