Re: A vision for multiple major modes: some design notes

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes: some design notes
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:26:05 +0300

On 04/23/2016 09:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

We must consider both these things together.  A prime design goal is to
allow an arbitrary major mode to be used by a super mode with the minimum
of adaptation to the major mode, ideally none.

I think you make this goal the main one, and that is a mistake.  The
changes that will be needed for supporting multiple modes in the same
buffer will be extensive, whether you want it or not, so trying too
hard to make it easier on modes to adapt will skew the design.

+1. I also think we can afford to require some changes to the major mode code, as long as they're simple, and it's easy to spot whether they have been made. A hundred or so regexps to change is not that much if the design is otherwise sound.