Re: Thinking about changed buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Thinking about changed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:13:13 -0400

> Personally, I have relied on the a-then-delete behavior when I
> _want_ the file to be considered modified*.

Same here (tho I use SPC DEL instead).

> * that said, I don't necessarily have a compelling reason for wanting
> a modified buffer.

For me, the full idiom is "SPC DEL C-x C-s" which I use to force Emacs
to save the file.  I'm not sure exactly where/when I need it (it's too
ingrained in muscle memory), but I think it's mostly when I edit a LaTeX
document while it's being compiled, because running "pdflatex" takes
enough time that I may end up saving a file before the end of the
previous compilation is done, so the file's timstamps don't faithfully
record the "freshness" of the output.

> I should pursue the cperl issue, and I've since found that the
> recolourization happens on revert-buffer without it being modified,
> but the point remains that char-then-backspace is a concise,
> intuitive, idiom that works with the current simple model.

For this, `SPC C-x u' at point-min should be sufficient to cause
cperl-mode (and perl-mode as well) to flush all the existing
highlighting data.

        Stefan